Hand dyed Lush cardigan – FO

Hello everyone,

Today I finally have the photos of my finished hand dyed Lush cardigan. This has been finished for weeks but it took me a little while to get it blocked and photographed. I finally persuaded my other half to come and take some photos of me wearing it and the light was almost obliging. I dyed the yarn back in June and cast it on as soon as it was dry enough for me to do so. The pattern I used was Lush by Tin Can Knits, I have knit this once before and I absolutely love the pattern.

imgp4242

This colour is rather tricky to photograph, especially with the pattern showing. But take it is a mixture of purples from the light to the dark. I made it a little longer than my last one and I am super happy with the fit of it.
imgp4247

So what colour next? I now have a blue one and a purple one!

 

Yarn dyeing attempt 4 – purple!

Hello everyone,

So as promised I am back with my next attempt at yarn dyeing! I mentioned to you last time that I got some new dyes, and that I wanted to dye enough yarn for another Lush cardigan. Well, I got my dye pots back out, some wiltons violet and progel rainbow dust purple and I set to work.

A few hours of winding, dyeing and rinsing later… I ended up with five skeins in a colour I am ecstatic with. A few days of drying later and I can finally share with you the finished product! Here it is… see below for the dyeing details.

IMGP2428

IMGP2429

There you have it… five skeins of purple yarn!

So the details. Well I started off with Cascade 220 superwash in the winter white colourway. This comes in balls, so I wound it off into skeins by wrapping it around my table. I then soaked each skein in warm water until fully saturated (about 30 minutes).

After it was soaked, I put about one litre of warm water into a large pot, I then added a teaspoon of citric acid, 1/2 teaspoon wilton’s violet and half a teaspoon of progel rainbow dust purple. I then mixed it all up before adding the presoaked yarn. I prodded it around for a little to make sure the dye got to all parts of the yarn.I then simmered it for 30 minutes until the water was clear. Once clear, I drained the yarn and rinsed with warm water for a few minutes. I then hung it up to dry. I repeated this for the rest of the skeins and then waited patiently for them to dry. Until I ended up with the above 😀

I am now balling the first skein up so that I can start my Lush. I will alternate these skeins when I am knitting as they are variegated, as is the nature of hand dyed yarn. Happy, happy days 😀

What is on my needles?

Hello everyone,

How are you all doing?

I thought today I would show you a progress shot of the jumper I am working on. I mentioned it a while back on the blog and I have been making some progress on it in the background alongside some other projects. The pattern I am knitting is flax by tin can knits. It is a free pattern and it is a really great pattern if you are just learning to knit/ want to jump in and make your very first jumper. It is knit in the round and apart from a garter panel that runs down the sleeves it is all stockinette stitch. Perfect for sitting down under a blanket with a film on the TV. I am knitting it in Women’s institute purple aran weight wool that I got for free with a voucher from the newspaper. I had a 400g ball and it should be enough (I hope). I am currently about three quarters of the way down the main body with the sleeves on hold. So here it is! One purple jumper in progress. Hopefully I will have it off the needles before long as it is getting chilly!

IMGP1513